Sturgis Bike Rally 2020!

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Sturgis Bike Rally 2020!

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Thu Jul 30, 2020 1:28 pm

I bet my little Honda Helix will be one of very few that show up for the bike rally. We don't plan on riding it all the way up to Sturgis from Hill City where we're staying, but we will be doing some local town hopping on it. The Harley Road Glide will be doing all the heavy work for the two weeks there.

I may have mentioned this, but I have tweaked my left side water return line upward about half an inch to accommodate the B&W Biker Bar bike clamp bar. With this hand clamped to my lower frame tubes, I just ride up into the garage of my toy hauler and the clamp bar will lock into the Biker Bar mounted to the floor. It auto locks in place and then I just step off and there are NO TIE DOWNS at all... :)

Don't know if anyone else here uses their Helix as a town hopper and takes it on vacations or trailers it from time to time, strapping down a scooter like the Helix can be a PITA!

Here's B&W's YouTube video link
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=47&v=AfBnoxNZt34&feature=emb_title

Here's B&W's website if anyone is interested. They only advertise for Harley's, but with some ingenuity they may work on many more, even the lowly little Helix!
https://www.bwtrailerhitches.com/product/biker-bar

These are NOT cheap, but I found both of mine off Facebook Marketplace for $200 each including shipping. That's $400 for both. eBay has them for around $348 new.

Here's a shot from the rear of my toy hauler garage just as loaded for the winter storage.

The Helix will be taking the left side spot. The orange/black Harley will be going to Sturgis with us as well.

I hope you all have a great month of August! I will not be on much because of the bike rally. If anyone else is going to be out there and wants to get together, you can text me at six three six, 248, five seven 77 and if our schedules work out, I would be happy to see anyone from the forum.

Later dudes and dudettes!

Dan
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Re: Sturgis Bike Rally 2020!

Postby northernplains » Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:31 pm

Awesome setup and rig! Sounds like alotta fun.....be careful out there on the road and among people. The virus is rearing its ugly head again.
northernplains

Re: Sturgis Bike Rally 2020!

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:00 am

northernplains wrote:Awesome setup and rig! Sounds like alotta fun.....be careful out there on the road and among people. The virus is rearing its ugly head again.

We will keep our distance and hopefully have some fun at the same time!

Hope the weather holds out for the two weeks we're there. That area can fester some huge storms with large hail and high winds. Been caught in one of those while riding back to the Rapid City area from Wall SD. The wife and I had suited up, but didn't do the hoodie on the rain suits. Lesson learned, always put on the hoodie under your helmet as rain will funnel down your collar and you'll be soaked underneath... :(

We were along the freeway and the storm came in and we stopped. The wind was coming out of the north northwest and hitting the bike's right side. The wind was so strong that it rocked the huge Harley up onto the side stand on the left and raised one of the tires off the ground. So we stood there with our backs to the storm holding the bike from flipping over. Then when the storm passed a bit, the wind was coming from the other direction so we had to switch sides to hold the bike down. What a storm that was!

I may have some videos to post afterwards from the trip around the Black Hills area.
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Return to Honda Helix