Kickstand bypass how to

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Kickstand bypass how to

Postby dunki » Sun Jul 19, 2020 6:42 pm

I modified my Helix kickstand wiring so the scooter would not start with kickstand down but would run with kickstand down after starting scooter.
I have changed three scooter to operate this way. I can get destricted after lowering the kickstand and leave the ignition switch
in the on position and the battery will be dead when I return.
Cut the green/white wire coming from the four wire plug at the ICM. Leave about a inch wire sticking out from the plug.
I soldered a #16 green wire to the pigtail from the plug and ran it to a good ground. I put a wire nut on the other green/white wire. I simplity striped about one inch of the insulation on the solid green wire and put it under the negative battery terminal.
Now the kickstand switch is not in the run circuit but still in the start circuit.
I still have the kickstand light and I like that.
I did take two pictures but can not post them here.
dunki

Re: Kickstand bypass how to

Postby GrahamH » Mon Jul 20, 2020 2:46 pm

Hi Dunki, Thank you for the info, although I would have to say I never leave the key in the ignition switch. Maybe I would disable the side stand cut out entirely so long as I could retain the warning light.

………….GrahamH
GrahamH

Postby Cruiser » Mon Jul 20, 2020 3:07 pm

Ever make a left hand turn with the kickstand down! I would not disable it.
Last edited by Cruiser on Tue Jul 21, 2020 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cruiser

Postby zozman » Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:55 am

dunki wrote:I modified my Helix kickstand wiring so the scooter would not start with kickstand down but would run with kickstand down after starting scooter...I have changed three scooter to operate this way....

I have never been a fan of the side stand cutoff switch. Honda added that to the 1988 Elite CH250 and others. Apparently some inebriated idiot revved his scooter and fell over while his side stand was down and his scooter running and got hurt somewhere. Honda apparently thought if the idle was too high and the bystarter enriched the rear tire would turn too much and cause the scoot to lurch forward and fall on it's side stand down position with no one on it.

What I did was to remove the side stand switch by the attachment bolt and tie it up in a plastic bag out of the way. No wires were spliced or cut. The side stand lamp on the dash doesn't light. I can start and run the scooter regardless of the side stand position. If I want to sell the scooter and the person wants it returned to OEM conditions, it can be done.

zoz

87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Return to Honda Helix