'98 Helix Update

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

'98 Helix Update

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:09 pm

Well folks, I've just run my first day as a "legal" Helix owner. Granted I "bought" the scooter about 7 years ago and just this past Monday finally got the title and now have it registered and plated.

Called my insurance guy and he said that it would be $19.27/6 months in addition to my Harley... :) Thought that was cheap enough for full coverage!

I just got it all back together last night after giving all the black pieces the Forever Black treatment. I decided NOT to do the lower or upper dash pieces. Did the glove box on down.

In my case the pieces were very faded and some scuff marks from the driver/rider a bit. But with only 600 miles on this '98, there's not been a lot of feet on the running boards.

I did three coats of Forever Black and STILL have some streaks (foam brush marks). I also coated the little piece over the front brake reservoir, it was a different type of plastic, but very faded as well. It turned out good and I did not do the handlebar pieces either.

Can anyone suggest a method to get rid of the streaks in the Forever Black? To some I may be way toooo picky and it does look good, but it also could look better. I used my Mothers Back to Black on the rubber running boards and that took out the grey spots on them quite nicely.

As far as my first true ride goes, IT WAS SO MUCH FUN!!! My wife had to get x-rays so we rode two up over to the hospital and on the highway hit 70 mph. It was much more comfortable at 65 mph and handled very nicely. After taking her home I went to Best Buy and then to the Harley dealership... :) My salesman there thought it was a great scooter and I let him ride it around the huge lot. When he got back he was smiles ear to ear! He loved it and commented on nicely it handled and how smooth it ran. Of course anything would feel smooth compared to the Harley! I will say that with the wife and I we're over the recommended 350# carrying capacity of the scooter, but still it was not bottomed out and still had some compression left on the shocks. VERY SMOOTH RIDING!

This thing is a BLAST to ride around. Not sure I would head out for a 1k mile trip with it, but I would probably get seat sore faster on my Harley than the Helix.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up that it's running great and I do appreciate all the help and suggestions.

By the way, no balancing of the front or rear tire was done and I feel no vibration at all... nice and smooth. As I said on the other thread, I fought with the rear 10" tire and got it done, but I took the front to my tire guy while I was at the DMV getting title and plates. He mounted it and put in a new valve stem all for $10.87. I could not fart with it for that cheap of price.

If anyone can help on the Forever Black streaks, let me know.

Oh... On the way home from the Harley shop, all freeway I-70 just west of the greater St Louis MO area, I was easily cruising 70 mph and hit as high as 78 mph on a very slight down grade. At 78 it started to miss a bit. Is there an rpm rev limiter on these things? Not that I'll ever cruise that fast, but thought I would ask. The new belt and sanding the clutch pads seemed to help a lot on the shudder on take off, lots smoother now.

Thanks again everyone!

Have a great weekend... :)

Dan
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Re: '98 Helix Update

Postby Cruiser » Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:58 am

I am a Forever Black fan, never had the streaking problem doing two Helix 87's. It is important to do the prep correctly.
I understand their is a rev limiter, that is why we can run WOT (Wide Open Throttle) all day!
Cruiser

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:29 am

Cruiser wrote:I am a Forever Black fan, never had the streaking problem doing two Helix 87's. It is important to do the prep correctly.
I understand their is a rev limiter, that is why we can run WOT (Wide Open Throttle) all day!

I'm sure at the 78 mph mark it was WAY higher in rpms than normal cruising speeds. So a rev limiter makes sense to me... :) Although at that speed, it's not quite a solid feeling as my Harley Road Glide that weighs in at around 1,200# with me on it!

I cleaned with the prep very good. But would you not think that subsequent coats would do away with the streaks? In my case I could reclean in a month or two and then redo another couple coats, still have plenty of the Forever Black. Do you think that would clear things up a bit?
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Postby Cruiser » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:33 pm

Dan_Lockwood wrote:
Cruiser wrote:I am a Forever Black fan, never had the streaking problem doing two Helix 87's. It is important to do the prep correctly.

I cleaned with the prep very good. But would you not think that subsequent coats would do away with the streaks? In my case I could reclean in a month or two and then redo another couple coats, still have plenty of the Forever Black. Do you think that would clear things up a bit?

It might, it has been six years ago since I did mine. I think I gave mine three coats.
Cruiser

Return to Honda Helix