Barn Find - Questions on Restoration

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Barn Find - Questions on Restoration

Postby Bogie » Wed Jul 15, 2020 6:32 am

Hi Everyone!
I was helping my neighbor a few weeks ago and saw 2000 Helix that was involved in a front end collision. He has offered to give the scooter to me just so that he can get it out of the barn. The bike has about 29K miles, was serviced, and drive belt replaced just before the collision. The owner claims that the forks are not bent or damaged. As you can see from the annoyingly water marked image, it is going to need front body panels, a radiator, and headlight assembly.

My questions:
1. Is this worth the effort to restore?
2. Where can I get parts?
3. Suggestions on what to look for and where to start.

Bogie

Re: Barn Find - Questions on Restoration

Postby Cruiser » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:08 am

If you don't have a Service Manual, here is a good source that has exploded views you can explore. you'll find out the parts you need by name and part no. and prices. It is a start and not necessarly where you need to buy them.
https://www.bikebandit.com/2006-honda-c ... #sch413214
Cruiser

Postby blipco » Wed Jul 15, 2020 10:47 am

At 29,000 miles, if this Helix had regular oil changes and care, it's just broken in. And the new belt is a plus.
Me, I would restore it. Strip the body and get the it to the frame. Get it cleaned and lubed everywhere. Clean and spray all electrical connectors with a contact corrosion inhibitor. In other words give yourself a good base to work with.

Entire body kits can be bought cheap. They're not great but they can be made to fit and are acceptable. The radiator may be able to be repaired. A gas tank free from rust is a huge plus as they are difficult to find but otherwise Parts on eBay are plentiful and inexpensive.

In the end you'll spend probably a bit more than you'd think but you'll have a good bike that you yourself built and you'll take pride in that. Do it.
blipco

Postby Bogie » Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:38 am

Is there a source where I can download a service manual? Hopefully for free!
Bogie

Postby Cruiser » Wed Jul 15, 2020 5:10 pm

Bogie wrote:Is there a source where I can download a service manual? Hopefully for free!

Here at the second from top of the Honda Helix forum.

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2170
Cruiser

Postby dunki » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:09 pm

Answer to first question is yes.
link to service manual
http://www.motorscooterguide.net/Manual ... Manual.pdf

I was unable to get any manuals off this forum for some reason so just got one frommotorscooterguide.net website
dunki

Postby laserblazerusa » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:57 am

I would use webike.jp, They'll have all the parts you need the cheapest. What state are you in? I just did full fairing swap and I have all the old body panels I'd let them go really cheap.
anyway it cost $250 for the full set of fairing with shipping from webike.jp, the the plastics are made in JP so the quality is quite good.
laserblazerusa

Return to Honda Helix