Bridgestone Molas-16 Circumference too large

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Bridgestone Molas-16 Circumference too large

Postby GlenM » Thu Jul 09, 2020 11:22 am

Funny thing happened.... Installed a Bridgestone Molas ML 16 120/90-10 on rear rim .... circumference too large to fit wheel on axle ... inteference from exhaust pipe and side of crank case ....

Anyone else ever have this sort of problem ???

Thanks,
Glen
GlenM

Re: Bridgestone Molas-16 Circumference too large

Postby zozman » Thu Jul 09, 2020 12:27 pm

The ML-16/R 120/90J-10 is the correct tire size for the rear wheel of the Helix. You should have removed the exhaust muffler, r/rear shock absorber and swing arm. Jack the rear of the bike higher and insert wheel from below. You may have to deflate tire some to wedge it in there.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby GlenM » Thu Jul 09, 2020 1:33 pm

Thanks,
I had to remove the muffler, shock and swing arm to get wheel off, and, I did let air out of new tire, however, I will try to jack HH up higher and try to bring it in from below,
Thanks for info and suggestion!
Glen
GlenM

Postby GlenM » Fri Jul 10, 2020 7:19 am

Zoz,

The tag that was on the tire I purchased read as follows:

BRIDGESTONE
MOLAS
ML16
120/90-10 66J
REAR

Is this a different tire from your designation ???
This is the website I got the tire from:
https://www.amazon.com/Bridgestone-Mola ... B005J8WN6W

Thanks!
Glen
GlenM

Postby zozman » Fri Jul 10, 2020 6:21 pm

Nope. Same Tire.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Sun Jul 12, 2020 11:27 pm

Not to hijack this thread, but along the same thoughts as OP, I too am replacing my tires. A '98 Helix with just 650 miles on it. Seems a waste to swap out the tires that look brand new, but at 22 years old, it's time to do it.

I had a bit of shuddering when taking off from a stop and Randy thought I could have some glazing on my clutch shoes. I chucked up the clutch drum with a 1/2" bolt in my 1/2" drill and while turning the drum I used emery cloth and lightly deglazed the metal clutch drum. I then very lightly sanded any glaze from the shoes. I also used brake kleen on the pulleys to get them clean and dry. I'm waiting for the new belt to put it all back together.

I have the rear tire, but still waiting for FedEx to deliver my front tire. Ordered both from the same seller on eBay, but for some reason FedEx wanted a signature for delivery and I was gone on vacation. Can I say I was on vacation if I'm retired??? So the other tire should be redelivered tomorrow.

I took off all the necessary items and let the air out of the rear tire and it all came off without any issues. The valve stem had been turned to point inline with the rotation of the wheel rather than off to the side, so I'll rotate that when I have the tire off so it can be aired up without bending anything. I broke the beads just by standing on the tire on the floor. Okay, I'm a big guy and they popped loose without any issues.

My question is this, I see no weights on the wheels now. Is it possible to just put the tires on and hope for the best WITHOUT balancing? Or do I have to take them to a dealer to have them balanced? My guess is that with such small diameters and not so much rubber, they're probably okay without balancing.

Any thoughts or suggestions about balancing?

Thanks in advance!

Dan
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Postby Cruiser » Mon Jul 13, 2020 6:37 am

My guess is that with such small diameters and not so much rubber, they're probably okay without balancing.

I think your guess is correct. In 12 years and 20 or so tire changes I have never balanced a Helix tire. Some say that the paint dot on some tires should be opposite the valve stem for balance?
Last edited by Cruiser on Mon Jul 13, 2020 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cruiser

Postby zozman » Mon Jul 13, 2020 9:17 am

Dan_Lockwood wrote:...My question is this, I see no weights on the wheels now. Is it possible to just put the tires on and hope for the best WITHOUT balancing? Or do I have to take them to a dealer to have them balanced? My guess is that with such small diameters and not so much rubber, they're probably okay without balancing. Any thoughts or suggestions about balancing? Thanks in advance! Dan

The front tire may be balanced. The rear tire not so critical with wobble.

If you choose to balance your tires, there are two methods. All tires are symetrically made. On the Bridgestone tire, it comes with a adhesive dot on the tire which is supposed to be opposite the valve stem. Some of the other Bridgestone tires I have had did not have the adhesive dot affixed but a mark was present in the tire sidewall. You can balance the wheel without the tire, then add the tire or balance both at the same time. My tire guy told me if there are weights on the rim, they don't worry about balancing. If the weights are missing or evidence thereof that there were some there, they balance the tire/wheel on the spin machine and add them as needed.

On my 1998 Helix as the picture shows, there are weights on the rim front only. They total 21g. The wheel weights are not opposite the valve stem.

On my original 1987 Helix with the original OEM tires and metal rims, there are no weights present. Personally, I wouldn't go out of my way to balance them.

zoz

87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby Dan_Lockwood » Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:28 pm

I just put the rear tire on today and aligned the dot with the valve stem as I normally do.

Boy, it's been way too long since I changed a tire this small. The side walls and beads were a bugger to get off the rim and the new one onto the rim. The front tire will probably go a bit easier due to it being a bit larger diameter etc. I'll ride it with the new rubber and see if it shakes any. If so, I'll get them balanced.

The new Honda belt came in today as well, so I put that on and now I just have the belt cover to reinstall. While I had it all down, I deglazed the clutches and the clutch drum. I have synthetic gear lube to put in the rear end before I put the cover back on.

My Forever Black came in while we were out on vacation, so off with the plastic bits to dye. I think I'll only do the lower pieces and the one below the seat that wraps around under the seat. The glove box on up look very nice and I'll just leave them unless there's a ton of difference after I get the lowers refinished.

Thanks for all the help guys!

Dan
Dan

3 Harleys
'98 Red Helix
Dan_Lockwood

Postby blipco » Tue Jul 14, 2020 6:37 pm

Dan Lockwood, be careful how you align the rear valve stem. If you turn it to far out towards the left it can contact a case or something and you can destroy the end of the stem and your tire can go flat at 70mph on the highway. Don't ask me how I know. :oops:

I mount and balance my own motorcycle tires and I've done it on the Helix before but I haven't balanced a Helix tire in ten changes between mine and friends and never had an issue.
blipco

Postby GlenM » Sun Jul 19, 2020 7:34 am

My conclusion on the circumference being too large on the Bridgestone Molas-16 is: The reason this tire will last longer than others is that it has more tread on it, thus, making for a larger circumference ...
I opted to get a Michelin Bopper 120/90-10 ... Only tire I ever got for HH that doesn't have the yellow dot for balancing purposes, however, doesn't seem to be a problem.
Did learn of a trick, leaving the tire out in the hot sun for an hour seemed to make the tire more pliable and aided in getting it on rim a little bit easier ...

This wound up being a super thread ! Thanks for all the posts!
GlenM

Postby millican » Sun Jul 26, 2020 10:22 am

The sun trick sounds handy. Thanks for that tip!
millican

Return to Honda Helix