Rear brake stuck

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Rear brake stuck

Postby helixfan86 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:43 am

So while hopping on my 86 helix to start it up i depress the rear foot brake and hear something of a snapping sound. My rear brake was locked and needed a lot of gas to get the scoot moving. After depressing the brake a few times it seemed to have loosened up but happens again, sometimes it feels stuck sometimes it comes loose.

Two questions: is there any way to disable the rear brake just so i can be able to drive the scoot to a repair facility and has this happened to anyone...I'm clueless to this and don't know where to start. Looked in my owners manual but doesn't show how to take things apart by the pedal and inspect what could be wrong.
helixfan86

Re: Rear brake stuck

Postby GrahamH » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:59 pm

If the problem is with the brake lever or cable then it can be backed off by unscrewing the nut at the brake end of the cable. This nut connects the cable to the brake arm on right hand side of the rear wheel. Put the scoot on the main stand and wind the screw counter clockwise whilst trying to turn the wheel by hand. If you are lucky the wheel will turn freely as the screw is turned. Don't unscrew until the nut falls off.

However, it is also possible that one of the springs holding a brake shoe has broken or come loose. If the wheel will not turn freely when the cable is adjusted as above then the only safe way to check is to remove the rear wheel to inspect the brake shoes. In this case it would be quite dangerous to drive the machine as the brake could lock the wheel solid with dire results.

GrahamH
GrahamH

Postby helixfan86 » Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:44 pm

GrahamH thank you,

here's what i found:
unscrewed as loose as i could make it and the wheel spins but there is definitely tension seeing that i have to muscle it by hand to move it...there have been times where it has been completely locked and i could not move it at all. when i press the foot brake almost all the way down there is a noticeable clicking sound and you can feel a bit of the bump in the pedal movement. it'll happen repetitively and same thing with the brake/wheel, it stays tight and wont spin freely but will turn. This was its first winter sitting outside maybe rust issues in there? Do you know of any brake write ups? you've been a great help with the diagnosis it's appreciated.
helixfan86

Postby GrahamH » Mon Jul 06, 2020 1:10 am

If the Helix has stood outside for a while then corrosion could be the problem. Ideally you should remove the rear wheel to check the brake operation and also check and lubricate the brake pedal axle and cable, but I am guessing that would be a new experience for you.

So to isolate the problem. Unscrew the brake rod nut totally to be able to pull out the round cylinder with hole through that connects it to the brake arm. You may need to trace the cable back from the brake to find a small bracket clamping the cable, undo this (8mm wrench if I remember correctly), it is easy to refit. Now the brake is disconnected does the brake pedal move freely? Does the brake arm move freely? By pulling on the brake arm you are pushing the brake shoes against the drum, try turning the wheel as you pull on the brake arm, don't pull too tightly as you are looking to find if the wheel sticks and slips due to rust in the brake drum.

With most faults once you know exactly what is wrong you are half way to fixing it.

Removing the rear wheel and brake has to be done every time a tyre is changed, quite a common task but apart from the workshop manual I don't know of any other help to refer to, maybe there is something on youtube?
GrahamH

Postby laserblazerusa » Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:28 am

I've had the E-brake cable get stuck and make the brake pedal stick, in my case I had wiggle the brake pedal kinda hard while pressing in on the E-brake, I had to do some heavy wiggling.
laserblazerusa

Postby blipco » Wed Jul 08, 2020 10:09 am

The problem is most likely corrosion in the hole where the shaft of the rear brake lever arm resides. When you press on the rear brake pedal the shaft binds in its hole and won't readily release the brake shoes.
To fix the problem you need to disassemble the rear brake unit and smooth out and grease that shaft. Which means taking the rear wheel off. So if you need a rear tire this would be a good time.
Also, you MUST replace the o-ring on that shaft as it no longer keeps the weather and water out and it has allowed corrosion and gunk to happen.
blipco

Return to Honda Helix