New 2006 Owner from near Dayton, Ohio

An optional place for members to tell us about themselves

New 2006 Owner from near Dayton, Ohio

Postby Jim Caudill » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:22 pm

Hi all! I have been riding on 2-wheel motorized vehicles for over 54 years. Now that I'm almost 70, I gave my son-in-law my GL1500 Goldwing and have been riding scooters. My two favorites have always been the antique Salsburys and the Honda Helix. I also have a soft spot for the Zundapp Bella since it was my first scooter back in the 60's. I have acquired several of the old Salsburys but couldn't find the right Honda Helix, so I bought a 2002 Honda Reflex. About a week ago I finally found my Helix: a 2006 with 15,000 miles for $1000! The owner hadn't ridden it for a while due to health issues, but he put a new battery in it, changed the oil, and made sure it ran. The tires were worn and cracked and it didn't handle very well. I cautiously rode it 35 miles home on backroads and ordered new tires, brakes, and belt. I got the new front tire installed today (along with new brake pads) and it made the ride much more stable. Next will come the rear tire and rear brake inspection. After that will come the belt and final drive oil.

I also own a 2006 Silverwing and just sold a 1986 Spree a few weeks ago. I think I have 6 scooters at the moment. The Helix is not as fast as the Reflex, but I think I like riding the Helix more. It may be time to think about selling the Silverwing as I'm not sure I will be doing much long-distance touring anymore.

I look forward to contributing to the forum as well as learning a few things from all you seasoned pro's.

Jim Caudill
Fairborn, Oh 45324
Jim Caudill

Re: New 2006 Owner from near Dayton, Ohio

Postby slonaker » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:19 pm

Welcome to the board, Jim!

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby Cruiser » Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:32 pm

Welcome to the Helix. Actually the Helix is supposed to be very good for long distance touring! Tho I haven't done it.
I am 75 and have three Helix.
Did any of your family work at Minster Machine? I knew a Caudill, can't remember his first name.
Cruiser

Postby Jim Caudill » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:32 pm

No relative of mine (that I know of) worked in machining in Minster. The name "Caudill" is actually quite popular in the area where I was born: Southeastern Kentucky. My family moved to Ohio in 1951 for the job opportunities. I have lived in Fairborn except for my college and air force days. Thanks for the welcome.
Jim Caudill

Return to Introductions