Hyperflash fix: Add Load Resistors, or Replace the Relay?

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Hyperflash fix: Add Load Resistors, or Replace the Relay?

Postby E.T.Smith » Tue Apr 16, 2019 10:45 pm

I've started to swap out the original incandescent bulbs on my Helix for new LED's. As expected, this resulted in the turn signals hyper-flashing, which is generally advised to be avoided. I've grabbed some load-resistors, and expected to be installing them today, but just learned that replacing the signal relay is another option, one that avoids much wire-cutting and the heat build-up issue of resistors.

This older thread indicates replacing the relay will still take some rewiring, and will require digging under the dashboard, but it still seems the more elegant solution. Any reason I should still use the load resistors instead, or is swapping out the relay really the best way to go?
E.T.Smith

Re: Hyperflash fix: Add Load Resistors, or Replace the Relay

Postby Phil » Fri Apr 19, 2019 5:11 pm

I just went threw the same thing you're doing. I replaced all the bulbs on the bike with LED. I thought it would be difficult at first with a little snooping around. I found that I could buy a LED flasher for my Helix at the local Cycle Gear Store. Be sure you grab the one that is labeled for Honda also It had the OE factory plug, no cutting, super easy. The factory flasher is a three wire. The LED flasher is a 2 wire, but it covers both two and three wire flasher. Plug and play. No more audible noise to reminding you that you have your turn signals are on . Not a problem for me. Very simple and easy up grade. I purchased my LED 9003 head light bulb from scooter west in San Diego. $79.95. I like that it had a braided heat sink, and not a fan. that usually fails anyways. I hope this is helpful
Phil

Postby Cosmic_Jumper » Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:59 pm

Got a Cycle Gear part number, or a manufacturers stock number for the 2-wire LED flasher?
Cosmic_Jumper

Postby Phil » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:18 pm

I will get it to you tomorrow at the latest !
Phil

Postby Phil » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:26 pm

this isint the one I purchased, but I think I like this one more. I like how it uses the factory mounting style. They give you two different harnesses. One for the two wire, and another for the three wire.

Item #: 1277860
Rizoma Universal LED Turn Signal Flasher Kit
Phil

Postby Phil » Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:36 pm

@cosmic I will still get the part number for the one I bought. I know that one def works.
Phil

Postby Phil » Tue Apr 23, 2019 10:33 pm

Ok, here's the info. Speedmetal flash led relay. Honda 46624. Bold numbers, I assume this is the part number. 489421. Bar code 884475020806. I hope this helps. If interested in pics, PM me. I can either text them or email.
Phil

Return to Honda Helix