Fuel tank removal

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Fuel tank removal

Postby Phil » Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:50 am

Hello form, and first time posting for me. I just acquired by first scooter. It happens to be a 1987 Honda Helix. 6,500 miles on the odometer. Best of all it was picked up for free. My friend gave me his dad's bike.

I looked on YouTube, plus I bought the factory manual. Amazing I must say. I need to remove fuel tank, but it seams like its wedged in pretty good between the frame. I wanted to ask first if there was a trick to its removal. Then using force. Thank you !!
Phil

Re: Fuel tank removal

Postby Cruiser » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:23 am

There is a trick but I don't remember! It was several years ago. I do remember messing with it awhile before I got it out.
Cruiser

Postby Phil » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:17 pm

Thanks for the input. I'll hang tight for now. Waiting on parts from Partszilla. I found one YouTube video. The guy showed unhooking the lines. But them skips to the tank being removed. I my try and ask my friend Bill, he owned the local honda dealership here in San Luis Obispo.
Phil

Postby Phil » Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:32 pm

Problem solved. One important step Honda left out of the factory manual. Remove the under tray, and the tank comes right out. So simple. I was very confused when I came to this problem. Honda Design This motorcycle or I should say scooter exceptionally well and I don't see why there would be such an issue removing the tank. Extremely well-built scooter now I see why they are so loved
Phil

Postby Cruiser » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:38 am

Glad you figured it out. What I do with that panel, it is actually a stone guard, Paint it with a truck bed coating, comes in a spray can. Works for me.
Did your friend have a title for the Helix?
Cruiser

Postby Phil » Thu Apr 11, 2019 7:55 am

I called Bill, but he wasn't home. Went to automotive trade in Arizona back in the early 90's. Almost went to MMI. was a tech in the dealerships and a few independents. Now been with a independent auto parts store for 12 years. And produce manager at Costco for 2.

I was actually sitting on my chair, drinking a nice cold 805 beer. And the idea struck me. There is some rust in the tank. So I'm going to take it to industrial radiator in Santa Maria, Calif. And have Doug boil it out , and possibly coat it.
Phil

Postby Phil » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:42 am

Cruiser, yes he has the title. It has two years of back fees though. Hes asking his friend who's an auto repair shop, and has license to sell also. Might pay him a normal fee and make it look on paper as if I bought it out of his inventory. Then no late fees. Or throw myself on the mercy of DMV. And write a letter and hope they excuse the fees. If my aunt still worked there, no problems.
Phil

Postby Phil » Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:45 am

Cruiser, did you spray the top and bottom of the splash pan ?
Phil

Postby Cruiser » Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:52 am

Phil wrote:Cruiser, did you spray the top and bottom of the splash pan ?

I had to go and check my spare stone guard. I just coated the outside. I actually did an entire 87 Helix body with truck bed coating.
Cruiser

Postby Phil » Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:56 am

Pulled the tank out only to find that there is rust in the tank. But not bad. I loaded it up and drove to Santa Maria, Ca . 30 minutes away . Dropped it off with and old dirt track days friend who owns Industrial Radiator. 100$ to hot tank, acid dip, hot tank, then with in 2-3 minutes max. Stuffs a 400 degree torch in the tank to dry the tank completely. Then coat it. One week turn around.
Phil

Return to Honda Helix