Not run in nine years?

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Not run in nine years?

Postby simon-peter » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:59 am

Hello folks just got myself a 97 helix that has been laid up since 2009,i believe it was running at the time and the previous owner just got too old to ride it.
I have asked a couple of local garages if they would be willing to recommission it and haven't got any positive responses,
So I might have a go at it myself but before I put too much money into it what is the minimum I need to get it running?
For example is it worth trying to recharge the battery and other than draining fuel and cleaning tank and carb should I change the oil before I try and get it going same goes for coolant.
Regards Simon
simon-peter

Re: Not run in nine years? So...

Postby zozman » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:38 pm

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum.

Congrats on your "new" 97 Helix. It would be helpful to know the mileage. If you're mechanically handy, everything except a major overhaul can be done by the you the owner.

On the forum main page is a link to the on-line service manual. That will guide you to any service you may need for your bike. All of the Helix years are about the same in service requirements and structure.

1. Replace the battery.
2. Drain the gas tank. There is a bolt drain on the left side under the floor pan. If there is rust in the tank, I'd replace the gas tank with a new Honda tank. Solid good used ones are hard to find.
3. Change the oil.
4. Replace the coolant.
5. Gas up the scooter and see if it starts and drives. If not I'd rebuild the carburetor. Sitting unused is never good. A new one is practically better at $223.
6. Test the electric choke (autobystarter) and replace if not in specification. New carb has a new choke.
7. Replace the air cleaner. Mice have a way of nesting there.
8. Remove the left side black cover to inspect the variator, belt and clutch. Any noise coming from there when the scoot is running?
8. I prefer to remove most if not all the plastic in the center of the Helix to see what was bought. Rust? Missing screws? Broken tabs?

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Re: Not run in nine years?

Postby GrahamH » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:30 am

8.1 ......and change the rear gearbox oil, use gear oil not engine oil.
GrahamH

Return to Honda Helix