Gas Tank Replacement leads to Fuel Sender problem

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Gas Tank Replacement leads to Fuel Sender problem

Postby Chip Chester » Sat Jul 06, 2019 11:24 pm

So, I spent a few hours removing plastic panels in order to replace the tank. That went well enough, but I have found the fuel sender is corroded at the contacts. So I'm searching for a new OEM sender. Have a somewhat local dealer whose website seems to imply it's in stock (no back-order situation) so I'm hopeful that is true, along with their convenient Sunday hours.

I did the usual ebay/online dealer search, but many show the part as orderable (not backordered) but also all show 10-15 day delivery times. If it's on the shelf in NJ, it shouldn't really take two weeks to get to Ohio. So I think they have to order it first, get it in, then ship it to me. By then I will have forgotten how the scooter goes back together. (!).

So for future needs (and possibly this one) I'm looking for dealers near central Ohio that actually stock parts. The ones in the region I've checked so far are 'we can order it for you' type places. Where is the actual Honda warehouse? Stateside, or in Japan? The usual web-based suppliers are (reasonably) closed until Monday, so I can't call them yet to find out true in-stock data.

Of course, if anyone has a working fuel sender they want to sell off, let me know...

-Chip
98 Helix, 89 PC800
Chip Chester

Fuel Sender

Postby zozman » Sun Jul 07, 2019 5:52 am

Hello.

My recommendation is to buy a OEM new Honda replacement sending unit from a Honda dealer. Used sending units are not always reliable. If you buy a used gas tank you get a used sending unit. Buy the new sending unit and gasket. Tip: When installing a sending unit be sure the toilet arm of the sending unit clears the back side lip of the inside structure of the gas tank. Drain all the gas out of the tank. Connect the electricals of the new sending unit. Then, using a coat hanger hook through the gas filler opening, grab the sending unit arm and manually raise it to the top of the tank to mimmic a full tank of gas. See that the arm clears properly AND with ignition on, that the fuel gauge on the dash shows full green bars when sending arm is fully raised and red bar on empty in the rest position.

Honda dealers do not stock parts anymore. They have gone to the "just in time" ordering procedure. Parts are ordered on line and ship from a central hub to them then the dealer ships them to you. The parts distribution center near you is in Troy, OH.

zoz

87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Re: Gas Tank Replacement leads to Fuel Sender problem

Postby Chip Chester » Sun Jul 07, 2019 1:01 pm

Thanks, zoz. Good info all around.

I will be passing by Troy early next week, so I might place my order with the Troy/Tipp City Honda dealer right on I-75.

The variable resistor portion of the sender was severely corroded -- the zinc segment mostly. I cleaned it up, but it doesn't look like there's a contact or wiper that goes across the resistive elements. I could easily re-attach something if I knew what it was supposed to be made of/look like. I got it free enough to float, etc. Sounds like a clean/restore method would be handy...

Chip
Chip Chester

Postby Phil » Sun Jul 07, 2019 11:17 pm

Partzilla.com is the way to go. They stocked lots of parts, but if they had to order it. Seam to take 5-7 days for me to receive my order. Price is great as well.
Phil

Postby Chip Chester » Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:32 pm

So just to follow-up... John Hinderer Honda powersports in Heath/Newark OH was able to order the necessary parts at reasonable prices, and had them available for pickup at noon the next day. 40 minute drive from the house to pick up, but I can live with that. Kudos to them, and apparently UPS.

Refit was indeed the reverse of removal. Was concerned for a moment while electrically testing the new fuel level sender, until I realized it wasn't going to track up and down on the display while I was moving it 6 or 8 cycles in five seconds. It has a sampling interval of a second or two, after which it will register the new position. Works fine once you dredge up some patience.

So, new tank & carb (both Chinese), plus filter, hose and sender (all OEM) means back on the road just fine. Also adjusted start switch and parking brake while in the vicinity. Plastic reassembly occurred in close enough time proximity to disassembly to remember how it goes together. Fresh oil rounded out the festivities.

Carb is working nicely. Smooth power and instant starts all the time.

Going to miss this machine, especially after last night's ride, but need to move it along to focus on the Pacific Coast. Will be listing soonish in proper section.

Chip
Chip Chester

Postby Phil » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:35 pm

the one thing I found that the factory manual didn't cover in the removal of the fuel tank. I might have over looked it, but you need to remove the belly pan on the bike to get the fuel tank out. Correct me if Im wrong on that.
Phil

Postby Chip Chester » Thu Jul 11, 2019 11:51 pm

I saw that in a comment, but didn't have to do it on my '98. The manual says to "remove" the coolant tube on the right side, but it was sufficient to undo the two mounting points and simply drop it down 3" or so, with the water hoses head and tail left attached. Just have to remember not to use it as a push-off/hand hold, since it's hanging by hoses.

For better access, I did raise the bike. I have a standard motorcycle jack, so I used that to gain altitude, then placed front and rear wheels, plus side stand on these molded-plastic. Worked well -- very stable, even when wrenching. This was laid out in a basic YouTube video.
Chip Chester

Return to Honda Helix