cam chain tension

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

cam chain tension

Postby joeyp » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:50 pm

:? :? how do I relieve tension on cam chain to to remove the cam 1986 helix I took out the bolt and spring now what
joeyp

Re: cam chain tension

Postby GrahamH » Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:55 pm

Did you download the workshop manual, page 6-5.

When the tension bolt and spring have been removed it is still not possible to simply lift the cam chain off it's sprocket. You need to unto the two bolts holding down the camshaft and as it becomes loose you can derail the chain.

Tips:
Align the cam shaft marks before releasing the cam

Stuff clean rag around the cam chain hole so as not to accidentally drop a screw in there.

Secure the cam chain so again it does not drop down when the camshaft is removed. When I lifted the head off I fixed a wire around the chain and then kept it taut so the chain did not come off the lower sprocket. This helps to keep the valve timing simple.

GrahamH
GrahamH

Postby joeyp » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:24 pm

still cant remove the cam because the chain tension isn't loose enough.is there a way to remove the tensioner from the motor. saw on youtube people doing it but not for my type meaning screw and little spring can I stick anything in the hole to loosen the tension :(
joeyp

Postby GrahamH » Sun Apr 14, 2019 11:40 pm

The cam chain tensioner can be removed by taking out the two M6 screws, (10 mm wrench).
GrahamH

Return to Honda Helix