Glue for Helix panels ?

A place to discuss matters related to Honda Helix scooters.

Glue for Helix panels ?

Postby TexanForever » Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:10 pm

Can anyone recommend any glue or solvent that is compatible with the Helix plastic panels and can be used for repairs ? Something that makes a strong bond and will not release at some future date.

I am considering trying PVC cement but perhaps something else would work better. Plastics chemistry is not my thing. All suggestions will be appreciated.
TexanForever

Postby fire1427 » Fri Dec 26, 2008 6:37 pm

I used a plastic welder when I broke a tab off
fire1427

Postby TexanForever » Fri Dec 26, 2008 8:09 pm

fire1427 wrote:I used a plastic welder when I broke a tab off

could you be more specific with respect to the name of the product, method of application, how well it worked, etc.?

In the past on other projects I've had disasterous results when the glue formula wasn't compatible with the type of plastic.

Some of the PVC glues plumbers use will make a permanent bond on almost anything. Helix body panels are more flexible than plumbing PVC and that suggests a potential compatibility problem.
TexanForever

Postby Dennis » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:02 am

Check with a local hobby shop for airplane glue. I believe it is polystyrene glue. Seems to actually melt the pieces together? Its good stuff. May have to sand off any paint in the gluing area before use.
Dennis

Postby TexanForever » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:35 am

Thanks Dennis. Polystyrene might be the stuff I'm looking for.

I don't plan to get it on the paint or outer surfaces. I used to build lots of model airplanes, mostly wood and fabric, and know how to handle glue. I intend to try to work out a way to repair tears by applying a thin splice layer of similar plastic generously across the back of the tear where it won't show. With luck it might be possible to restore tabs or "grow" new ones. A strong glue joint that actually welds the plastic pieces into each other will be key.
TexanForever

Postby Dennis » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:16 am

If you find you can "grow" new tabs you might want to paint your Helix green and name it Kermit! :D
Dennis

Postby fire1427 » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:30 pm

Plastic welder from harbor freight ... I used the sticks that came with it to "weld" the broken tab back on

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=41592

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=41602

I picked it up on sale for $20
fire1427

Postby TexanForever » Sat Dec 27, 2008 8:12 pm

Thanks fire. I didn't know there was such a thing as plastic welding. Looks like it might be the solution.

TF
TexanForever

Postby Alarmnbob » Sun Dec 28, 2008 3:44 am

I use a product named SUPER JET it is made by JET GLUES products.
It is a super glue that can be found in hobby stores. It is used for gluing
Rc Model planes together. It comes in different thicknesses. You can use an excellerant "JET SET" to make it dry faster. It builds up perfectly.
http://www.jetglues.com/index.shtml
Alarmnbob

Postby TexanForever » Sun Dec 28, 2008 9:16 am

WOW, it's hard to decide between these great suggestions. Thanks guys.

At the moment I am inclined to go with SUPER JET for bonding because it requires no heat that could damage the candy apple paint on the outside of the panel. I might use the thicker, slower version for tab buildup. For repairing cracks I will use a short reinforcing strip of similar plastic on the backside, crossing the gap.

Thanks Bob

Right now it's too cold to work outside, so I'll wait 'till it warms up. I believe in no-hassle comfort. That's why I ride a Helix.
TexanForever

Postby slonaker » Mon Dec 29, 2008 10:46 pm

I moved this thread to the correct forum...

A bodyshop supply store can provide you with materials that are actually intended to repair that type of plastic, whatever it is.

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby Alarmnbob » Tue Dec 30, 2008 3:06 pm

TexanForever wrote:.
WOW, it's hard to decide between these great suggestions. Thanks guys.

At the moment I am inclined to go with SUPER JET for bonding because it requires no heat that could damage the candy apple paint on the outside of the panel. I might use the thicker, slower version for tab buildup. For repairing cracks I will use a short reinforcing strip of similar plastic on the backside, crossing the gap.

Thanks Bob

Right now it's too cold to work outside, so I'll wait 'till it warms up. I believe in no-hassle comfort. That's why I ride a Helix.

TexanForever,
You can use a piece of fiberglass cloth on the back with this glue and it makes a really strong bond.
Alarmnbob

repairing panels

Postby corvairbob » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:50 am

a couple of ways to do this would be. if you can remove the panel for a sure repair from the inside would be to use fiberglass. three layers over the crack/break and it will be a permanent repair. one other method would be from the inside jb weld. mix it up place it over the crack/break and then add a pc. of metal and cover with more jb weld. permanent repair. i wold use the fiberglass method first. you can get small repair kits from any auto parts store and even some department stores. good luck
corvairbob
cf moto fashion
corvairbob

Return to Honda Helix