New member from Reading . England.

An optional place for members to tell us about themselves

New member from Reading . England.

Postby HELITEL » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:59 pm

Hi , just a quick introduction. Im Terry from near Reading , England. Just got my first Helix and one as spares . One is 1990 Uk spec and the other an 1993 import, already noticed a few differences. One has alloy wheels with integral hubs , the other has pressed steel rims and detachable hubs ( better idea ). Also the import has no light switch and side reflectors.. The engine breather systems seem different too. Are ther any other major differences. Hope to improve my knowledge and make a few friends via this Forum. Cheers Tel
HELITEL

Re: New member from Reading . England.

Postby GrahamH » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:55 pm

Hi Terry, Compared to most folks here we are almost neighbours! (I'm in Yorkshire).

The alloy wheels came in about 1992-93 and most UK bikes had the steel wheels. Also the UK bikes were never fitted with side reflectors, just the grey plastic plates (can't think why).

Maybe check the usual suspects of leaking exhaust (causing backfiring) and cracks in the inlet rubber manifold.

You didn't buy chance find your bike in Bridlington?

Regards..............GrahamH
Last edited by GrahamH on Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GrahamH

Postby wilsongj » Mon Nov 27, 2017 4:17 pm

Hi Terry, hello from Saintes, France. This is a good forum for tips and answers. I also have one on the road and one for bits. Spares here are difficult to find and very expensive. (windscreen 235 euros here, 85 from Japan including tax.) The roads here are empty and smooth though!

Greg
wilsongj

Postby charlie55 » Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:02 pm

Welcome Terry, and a belated welcome Wilson and Graham. It looks like the plan for Helix world domination is slowly coming together.
Ego equitare ergo sum
charlie55

Postby BOF-UK » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:16 am

Terry hello,
Well we have GH up North, you in the South and myself in the middle, that should cover England, unless there are more hiding elsewhere in the UK.
All the best
BOF-UK

Postby slonaker » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:56 am

Welcome to the board!

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby HELITEL » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:46 pm

Thanks guys for the warm welcome . Graham -bikes are from a relative . Bof - your posts have been a great help..:)
I had to clean carb , temp repair on inlet manifold ( new one ordered ,coming from china for less than 4 quid). Strip and clean front brake caliper and sort out wiring a bit .. passed MOT this morning , well chuffed.. I have been a long time Honda CX fan so am well used to , shall we say , cosmetically challenged bikes or just plug ugly.. This is my first scooter and after a wobbly start , getting used to feet forward , I enjoyed the ride through the lanes to mot garage . Will tax it on 1st December and first real outing will be Reading Xmas Toy Run on 10th December. Looking forward to it. About 2000 riders took part last year .. I was on my old Sunbeam S7 . Bet Im the only Helix this tear. Cheers Tel
HELITEL

Postby dbcooper » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:38 pm

I'm fairly new here from near Reading, Pennsylvania...
dbcooper

Return to Introductions