October 2006--Why has the Helix discussion board been down?

Important Information for members. Only Admins may post to this forum

October 2006--Why has the Helix discussion board been down?

Postby slonaker » Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:59 pm

Despite their assurances that they provided battery and generator backups in case of a power outage, my webhost (the people I pay to store the files that make up this site) had a power outage in early October 2006. The server shut down, and destroyed all of my data.

The company assured me when I began using them that two complete backups would be made of my site daily, and that they would be stored in separate locations to ensure that everything could be restored in case of a hardware failure. This was not true. When the data was destroyed, much of it was just plain gone.

After a month of promises that the data was being recovered, I gave up waiting on them. Since I no longer trusted them, I have replaced them with a different host.

The site has been restored from my latest backup, completed in July 2006. Information entered since that date, including posts and registrations, was lost. Those of you who registered since mid July will need to re-register in order to continue using all of the features of this board.

Patrick Slonaker
slonaker
Site Admin

Return to News and Updates