Battery theft from Honda Elite 250

A place to discuss non-Helix scooters.

Battery theft from Honda Elite 250

Postby Cubey » Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:27 pm

Somebody needs to beat the crap out of the Honda designer who put the Elite 250's battery in the step through, where the Helix's gas filler neck is. Why? Because someone decided they wanted $3-$5 for their goddamn drug habit and stole my battery today. In broad day light. And no one saw a thing, of course. It requires nothing more than a flathead and philips head screwdriver to steal.

Now I have to not only buy another. but I'll have to remove it from the bike every single time so it doesn't happen again.

Not that I will -- but it would be funny to put poisonous spiders in there in place of the battery so when they come back looking to steal it again, they get chewed up by the spiders.
1988 Honda Elite 250
Cubey

Re: Battery theft from Honda Elite 250

Postby charlie55 » Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:32 pm

Maybe you could try those security screws that need a special driver bit to install/remove. Not foolproof, but probably enough to slow 'em down a bit.
Ego equitare ergo sum
charlie55

Postby Cubey » Sat Jun 04, 2016 6:30 pm

charlie55 wrote:Maybe you could try those security screws that need a special driver bit to install/remove. Not foolproof, but probably enough to slow 'em down a bit.

Then they might break the cover to get inside, since they know a battery is in there. :evil:
1988 Honda Elite 250
Cubey

Postby zozman » Sun Jun 05, 2016 7:06 am

The battery cover is more expensive than the battery. If you can find one.

zoz
87 & 98 Helix
zozman

Postby slonaker » Sun Jun 05, 2016 3:20 pm

I'm wondering about these batteries:

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-10 ... 62586.html

$30 with a 25% off coupon:

http://www.hfqpdb.com/coupons/25_percen ... 09.262.jpg

I haven't bought a battery in a while, and I don't now anything about these, but it seems like a cheap option if it fits.

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby Cubey » Sun Jun 05, 2016 5:27 pm

I bought one on ebay for $27.25 shipped.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/291710682056?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

I also ordered a damaged gauge cluster for the (hopefully good) temperature gauge since mine is not working.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252408090645?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT

It seems no one wants to buy a water cooled scooter without a working temp gauge.

If that fixes it and I have a battery on hand, the price of the scooter is going back up to $1000. $52.25 cost to get $200 more out of it will be worth it.

I may end up keeping it though, simply because people are wanting to pay much of nothing for it. It takes the right buyer to come along, otherwise people want to pay next to nothing just to resell it. I deleted the Craigslist ad since I have the battery and cluster on the way now.

But as I mentioned, the battery will always come inside with me now. It's pitiful that I have to do that. I'm on the waiting list for the (somewhat) secure garage here, so it'll go in there eventually.
1988 Honda Elite 250
Cubey

Postby helixnz » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:25 am

awesome mate.
You are lucky they did not steal the scoot.
Conscious thought God im pleased there is some.
Money in the bank
helixnz

Postby helixnz » Fri Jun 10, 2016 5:32 am

Jesus maybe these old girls are worth s... thin.
Give these babies a 400cc plus and tires and we willl be in
helixnz

Postby Cubey » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:33 am

I guess I might be keeping the bike a while longer after all. The buyer wants to back out, which is fine. I found out that the "non-refundable deposit" he signed actually has no legal basis in this state. A deposit is inherently refundable so therefore it can't be non-refundable, even if they agree to it. I told him to bring back the receipt and I'll return his money. He's recovering from something medically and said he'll get down here as soon as he can.

I voluntarily offered the "deposit" back after I found that out, and after an attempted fix for the temperature gauge didn't work. I bought a damaged cluster from a wrecked bike one for 1/4 the cost of a good condition one and swapped out the temp/fuel gauges only. (Well, also the clock actually).

I think I figured out how to fix it however, which I'll do myself later on when I feel like it. If I fix it, the bike will be worth it's full value and I can get more for it anyway. If I do decide to sell it before insurance is due again next year, any remaining insurance premium will get refunded anyhow.

It's gonna put me shorter money wise this year, in addition to my newly adopted dog but well, what's money for if not spending? :mrgreen:

Regarding the $30 replacement battery I got off ebay, I am going to wire in 10 gauge versions of these so I can easily install and remove the battery. Constantly connecting and disconnecting the screws/terminals takes forever!
1988 Honda Elite 250
Cubey

Return to Other Scooters