Honda Elite 80 Project

A place to discuss non-Helix scooters.

Honda Elite 80 Project

Postby rowdyc » Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:03 am

I picked up a 2002 Elite 80. It did not run and had been sitting for over a year. I thought since I revived one Honda, I could do another.
After working on the Elite, I've come to appreciate the easy access for repairing the Helix offers. It was a bear just getting the carb off and doing a valve adjustment was vicious. I eventually removed the engine and working on it became much easier. With the Helix you would never think about removing the engine but with these smaller scooters, it is almost common practice.
I finally got it running after an oil change, transmission oil change, drain gas from tank, add a fuel filter (never had one), new battery, carb cleaning (found on another site how you can use tooth paste to seat the float needle in order to stop carb from leaking) and valve adjustment. Now I'm cleaning it up, getting a couple plastic pieces and seat and it should be ready to add to the stable. Got to go get some more of that infamous forever black and American red paint for the other plastic.

rowdyc

Re: Honda Elite 80 Project

Postby slonaker » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:26 am

Wow, that's a big project! :shock:

Patrick
slonaker
Site Admin

Postby rowdyc » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:26 pm

I'm getting closer to completing this project. Need to add back the marks and change the belt and switch from rollers to sliders.

rowdyc

Postby FillG » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:42 am

Wow, that looks like it's in great condition (now anyways :) ). I've seen a few decent deals on those lately and thought about picking one up to tinker with. I just don't think I'd ever really ride it since I've got the Helix so it would have to be a "buy it, fix it, sell it for a profit" type of thing and I don't think my mechanical skills are ready for that.
FillG

Postby rowdyc » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:33 pm

I just completed installing Dr. Pulleys and a new belt. With over 9K miles, the rollers had terrible flat spots. With these scooter, you will need to do a valve adjustment every 4K-5K miles. Before the days of forums, in high school, got rid of a Aero 50 because we did not know it needed a valve adjustment.

I'm not very mechanical but I picked up this scooter to ride and sell. Not that hard, after removing the engine. With the help of other forums, I realized it only took, unscrewing the 1 shock, unplugging carb lines, throttle cable, electrical wires and one mounting bolt. Working on it afterwards was a ease. Belt and slider installation was very similar to the Helix. I think a nice project for anyone that can turn a wrench and read a shop manual.

Trying to work my way up to 2 stroke vintage Vespa (mechanically and financially :lol: ) This Elite 80 was so cheap I couldn't pass on it and even by making this new again, I expect some profit to move forward. Still plan on keeping the Helix as the ride is priceless.

This is a video of a guy who didn't remove the Elite 80 engine, when he did a carb cleaning. When I watched it, I knew then, it must be a better way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VOHkiA9KbNs
rowdyc

Postby FillG » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:17 am

rowdyc wrote:This is a video of a guy who didn't remove the Elite 80 engine, when he did a carb cleaning. When I watched it, I knew then, it must be a better way.

LOL! That guy is not enjoying his scooter. :lol:
FillG

Postby BobM » Tue Mar 26, 2013 10:48 pm

FillG wrote:
rowdyc wrote:This is a video of a guy who didn't remove the Elite 80 engine, when he did a carb cleaning. When I watched it, I knew then, it must be a better way.

LOL! That guy is not enjoying his scooter. :lol:

That guy really needs to step back, take a deep breath and slow down.

:)
93 Helix
04 Suzuki Burg. 400
BobM

Postby rowdyc » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:14 pm

Sold it to fund the purchase of a Yamaha morphous. made a decent profit. the morphous needs a lil work, so back to the work bench but at least no carb cleaning.
rowdyc

Postby BobM » Thu Apr 11, 2013 12:15 am

Rowdyc, congratulations. I would love to have a Morphous as a second scooter. Be sure and keep us posted with pictures as you work on it.

Bob :)
93 Helix
04 Suzuki Burg. 400
BobM

Return to Other Scooters